Jim Carrey Online

The Critics on 23

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

The Critics on 23

Postby grinchy steve » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:33 am

Post the reviews in this topic.

Thrillers just aren’t the right tune for Carrey to dance to, and as if somehow compensating for his lack of familiarity with the genre Jim spends most of the movie mugging and overacting. He’s too wrong for the role. The part requires a kind of subtlety he just doesn’t have. Jim barely gets by as a dramatic actor, as a crazy on the loose in a thriller he’s more looney tunes than lunatic.

Josh Tyler (Cinemablend); http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/The- ... -2105.html
---

I'm a bit afraid 'the Number 23' isn't going to be good, the three reviews i saw were bad. And funny enough, they confirm my thoughts on the trailer.

The main problem seems to be that people don't believe Carrey in this character. The biggest problem is -suprise, suprise- Schumacher as a not-so-good director in combination with a silly script.

Ofcours, I can hear you all think, "Don't listen to the critics", I know. And I'm not planning to. I'll make up my own mind. but reading my pre-thoughs on it in the first three reviews ... that concerns me.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby SA JCFan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:14 am

Ooh, glad I'm not the only one. It makes me wonder if this is why New Line is going out of its way to heavily promote the movie, or at least generate Internet buzz. There's a small way to know if "23" will be critically successful; keep a close observation to the the TV spots:

If they become frequent with numerous positive quotes from big name critics BEFORE it hits theaters, it shows that the movie will do - and be - good.

If they show very few quotes from unknown critics (in some cases, they make the quotes huge but the source impossible to read) or no quotes before and after it hits theaters, then it was a bust.
SA JCFan
The Cable Guy

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:26 am

Critics are always wrong about Jim usually. He's good in Dramas, and Schumacker said he was great in the number 23, so im not worried.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby KC8t80 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:29 am

if u think about it, thr critics never gave Jim's films much love. the exceptions would probably be Bruce Almighty, Lemony Snicket and ESOTM (of course).......at least to the best of my knowledge, i could be wrong. but non-the-less, critically, this will ultimately get medicore reviews but will do well financially. so there is nothing to really worry about.
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:12 am

I have to dissagree. You see, critics loved Jim Carrey in the realy good movies. Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, ... also Lemony Snicket was doin' pretty good because of the fact his role was something completely different.

You have to keep in mind that comedies and simple thrillers (almost) always have fifty-fifty comments. (Or they have to be realy original of very well written) It's a strange thing, but it is. They don't score high points. Since 1/3th of Jim's list are comedies, that explains a lot.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby fluffy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:06 am

it's the public that count :wink:...hey, even if it's not so good artistically i still have full respect for Jim 'breaking out' of the mold....he's tried something new!!!......way to go!!! :wink:

fluffy :D
Last edited by fluffy on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby chip » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:59 am

Where are those other two review you talked about?

The man from the review you posted hates Jim Carrey, before watching the movie he wrote an article saying Jim wasn´t quite good in Drama and that he was still "Jim Carrey" in Eternal Sunshine, that has no sense.

In the review he doesn´t like the way of the book role Fingerling that I´m sure that as the others book roles is quite stereotyped, that´s a director order and maybe you are fine with that or not.

The other things I´ve seen apart of this review are IMDB user comments, there are three, and all of them talk very well about the movie.

I think the cinema blend review are bad news but I think there is hope too.
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! :D
chip
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Postby grinchy steve » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Well, Chip. The other two were user-comments (therefore not here) in another language pretty much saying the same thing. No bad things about Carrey though, exept the fact that he's not at his best in this genre.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:23 pm

I expect most JC movies to get bad critics cuz a lot think he should just stick to Comedies.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

yea right

Postby wooly » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:32 pm

dont listen to critics whatr does he know about acting the said the same thing about the cable guy and that did alright i cant wait to see the no 23 :lol: :lol: ps the critic is prob a sad loser :o
wooly
Earth Girls Are Easy

Re: yea right

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:42 pm

wooly wrote:dont listen to critics whatr does he know about acting the said the same thing about the cable guy and that did alright i cant wait to see the no 23 :lol: :lol: ps the critic is prob a sad loser :o

I loved The Cable Guy :D
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby grinchy steve » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:05 pm

"I came in expecting one of two movies. One: A movie that was patently about what it was about, as evidenced in the trailer. Or two: a harrowing psychological thriller showing how just one doubt can pull a reasonable mind into unreasoning madness. What I got was a bit of both with a healthy dose of neither."

Stefan Halley http://www.popsyndicate.com/index.php/s ... number_23/
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Lena » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:30 pm

pf I don't mind what the critics say, I go watch the movie and make my own opinion. There's no tought in my mind of not going to watch this movie just because the critics say it's no good.
Lena
A Christmas Carol

Postby gothichyppie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm

I try to avoid critics before seeing a movie...
---[...]------
gothichyppie
Burt Wonderstone

arggggg

Postby wooly » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:07 pm

cant someone delete the critics the just spoil the post :cry:
wooly
Earth Girls Are Easy

Next

Return to (2007) The Number 23