Jim Carrey Online

The Critics on 23

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby fluffy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:07 am

DON'T READ THE REVIEWS YET!!!!...........GO SEE IT AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND FIRST!!

FLUFFY :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby jimliker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:32 pm

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:00 pm

grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby chip » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:49 pm

This is too! ;)

http://www.ocolly.com/read_story.php?a_id=32081

Sure that 23 is not everyone cup of tea but I think it will be mine as from the last two reviewers here! :P :D So... Enjoy the film!!!
I have to wait till 23th march... :P
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! :D
chip
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Postby 123Dan123 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:25 pm

San Francisco Chronicle
The movie looks terrific, and though it always keeps moving, it never feels headlong or rushed. This is a very good movie that could have been better still: Alas, the denouement is just a little off. 75/100

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... ype=movies

:D
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby sprousefan23 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:19 am

I thought the critics went a little too hard on it. If you look at other movies that came out this week they all got C's and D's too.
"No time outs. Only DEATH!"
"I don't like to brag and I won't cuz I don't have to!" Image
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby trishroberts » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:02 pm

Empire Review

Two talents aching to be taken A Bit More Seriously — Jim Carrey and director Joel Schumacher — join forces for a nimble, deranged conspiracy thriller. Carrey plays a dog-catcher whose life curls down the existential U-bend when he chances across a paperback — the titular Number 23 — that combines his own memories with a murderous gumshoe yarn.

What starts out as Ace Ventura: Hex Detective mutates into a snaking noir with much paranoid numerologising as ‘23’ pops up everywhere. The who-wrote-it revelation folds under scrutiny but it’s fun getting there, Schumacher revisiting the brash stylistic tics of his ’80s hit Flatliners with mucho gusto.
Verdict
Genuinely intriguing in places and romps along at a satisfying pace for a conspiracy thriller.
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby trishroberts » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:03 pm

After seeing the film I recon the Empire review hits the nail on the head...ish.
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby 123Dan123 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 pm

IMDB User Rating: 6.8/10 (2,908 votes)

Not doing so bad eh? :D
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby grinchy steve » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 pm

So, the reviews in Belgium are comin' in, since the film opens today.

After bashing Joel Schumacher;

"Too bad for Jim Carrey and he's co-actors Virginia Madsen and Danny Huston, they are all desent actors. Could someone please push Carrey's career in the right direction? The guy can be irritating as a face-pulling comedian, but we absolutely adore him in serious roles. In fact, there's no doubt he is one of the best actors of his generation. Seeing one of our favorite actors going way down in such a terrible 'movie' like this, is a nightmare coming true.

Meanwhile Schumacher is 67. Maybe in a year or ten he's finally done. Don't watch 'the Number 23', watch 'Pi' instead."
,- KUTsite. (0 out of 4)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby gothichyppie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:37 pm

grinchy steve wrote:So, the reviews in Belgium are comin' in, since the film opens today.

After bashing Joel Schumacher;

"Too bad for Jim Carrey and he's co-actors Virginia Madsen and Danny Huston, they are all desent actors. Could someone please push Carrey's career in the right direction? The guy can be irritating as a face-pulling comedian, but we absolutely adore him in serious roles. In fact, there's no doubt he is one of the best actors of his generation. Seeing one of our favorite actors going way down in such a terrible 'movie' like this, is a nightmare coming true.

Meanwhile Schumacher is 67. Maybe in a year or ten he's finally done. Don't watch 'the Number 23', watch 'Pi' instead."
,- KUTsite. (0 out of 4)

I have seen the movie for Jim essentially and I have yet to read a negative review about his performance. He always gives 110% of what he's got and it shows.
---[...]------
gothichyppie
Burt Wonderstone

Postby fluffy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:01 pm

yeah, he can only work with the material and direction he's given........i hope he's not made a scapegoat though.......he did a steller job with what he had......

fluffy :D :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby grinchy steve » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:03 am

fluffy wrote:yeah, he can only work with the material and direction he's given............he did a steller job with what he had......

Well, that's funny you say it, two minutes ago a 'critic' on the radio (Belgium) said this;

"... we all know that feeling when we are reading a book and recognize ourself in the story or character. And for the story of the film, that would have been enough, but the problem is they absolutely wanted to hang the whole thing on that number. The result? it's extremely dull, absurd an laughable. Bad even. Specially when they feel the need to explain the damn thing for -what must be- 23 minutes long!

People keep asking me if it's funny, what means Jim Carrey has a lot of fans out there that keep asking for a new comedy. But the fact is that he's doing well in both serious roles in 'the Number 23', but, well, actually, he's doing what he can with this crappy material."
,- Jan Temmerman (TVone)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:54 am

Another review from Belgium.

We have always liked Jim Carrey. Because the actor was nothing less than brilliant in 'Man on the Moon', 'the Truman Show' and above all, 'the Majestic'. In his first thriller -yeah,that's right, theover-the-top comedian in a thriller- Carrey is proving he can handle the role. Too bad the scenario is dull, the writing is bad and the end is extremely predictable. Joel Shumacher is trying and trying. But it ain't working. A missed uportunity. ,- Cinevision.be

Well, we can say that in Belgium all the reviews come down to the same thing. Jim Carrey can handle the role and does a nice job in a dull thriller, badly directed by Joel Schumacher and not well written.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby jimlover » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:54 am

[i][b]Somebody to luv me(Jim)[/b][/i]
jimlover
Dumb and Dumber To

PreviousNext

Return to (2007) The Number 23