Jim Carrey Online

Jim Carrey, Horror Movie 'Aleister Arcane'

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Jim Carrey, Horror Movie 'Aleister Arcane'

Postby Veysel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 am

Jim Carrey, Eli Roth Teaming for Horror Movie 'Aleister Arcane'
Jim Carrey and Eli Roth are teaming to adapt Aleister Arcane, a comic book from horrormeister Steve Niles.

Amblin Entertainment has picked up the package as a pitch that includes Jon Croker, the scribe behind The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death, attached to pen the script, with David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman of Mandeville Films producing along with Michael Aguilar. Carrey will star in and executive produce the project.

Aleister Arcane, published in 2004, told the story of a Los Angeles weatherman named Aleister Green who returns to his hometown to host a midnight horror show a la Elvira. Under the guise of a mad scientist named Aleister Arcane, Green performed little skits until the local sponsors balked at the gore. An incident with two kids leads to him to be put on trial, breaking his spirit and into an early grave. Not long after, grisly activities begin to occur and only the kids have the power to thwart the curse he has laid upon their town.

The comic was illustrated by Breehn Burns.

The adaptation was initially set up at Paramount in 2004, but the rights lapsed.

The move continues Roth’s path towards working with big-name actors. The filmmaker gained a loyal following for his horror movies such as Cabin Fever and the Hostel franchise but those movies were not star-driven. That changed with last year’s Knock Knock, Roth’s thriller that starred Keanu Reeves. He just inked a deal that will see him direct Bruce Willis in MGM's remake of Death Wish.

Carrey last starred in Dumb and Dumber To, in which he reprised his popular comedic character Lloyd. The actor has a pair of movies in the can, among which is a horror movie from Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home at Night) titled The Bad Batch.

Carrey also is serving as an executive producer on the upcoming Showtime series I’m Dying Up Here, which explores the 1970s L.A. comedy scene.

Mandeville is in postproduction on the live-action musical remake of Disney's Beauty and the Beast and is prepping to shoot the adaptation of YA novel Wonder with Julia Roberts and Jacob Tremblay.

Carrey and Roth are repped by WME. Carrey is additionally repped by Jimmy Miller/Mosaic and attorney Deborah Klein.

Niles is repped by APA and Loeb & Loeb.
source:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ing-876508
Veysel
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Re: Jim Carrey, Horror Movie 'Aleister Arcane'

Postby indy-jones » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:29 am

I've been a fan of classic horror movies for quite some time, so this'll most likely appeal to me as much as watching Jim being Jim at his best. I know Eli Roth has been getting a bad rep with horror fans in recent years which I can understand, so I don't know if this film will change their tune though I hope a lot of people will be seeing this for Carrey alone.

Also, I never heard of this comic until I saw this funny video which shows the plot in spoilerish detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtBHm--5siU

Finally if you want to see another movie featuring a TV horror host and the real forces of horror, I recommend the 1985 cult classic Fright Night with the late Roddy McDowall as Peter Vincent teaming with a young horror fan to battle a seductive vampire!
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby AdaL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:14 pm

This is ace news!
So Jim is producing and playing the lead?
AdaL
The Majestic

Postby JimCarreyschick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:16 pm

This sounds awesome I can't wait to see it once it comes out, Jim Carrey's the best!.

Jen :)
JimCarreyschick
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Aleister Arcane may be an interesting project if it's done right, but i don't think this will be a horror movie. I imagine something like Goosebumps with Jack Black, maybe a little darker. That's my guess, we'll see :)
Nick
Batman Forever

Postby tlmarvin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Wednesday, June 22, 2016--4:56 pm CST

Hey JCO:

I'm very happy that Jim Carrey is gonna do another horror. I'm glad he's going back to work. I'm sure Jim will be great in the movie. I thought Jim didn't like real violent movies. He refused to promote his 2013 movie "Kick Ass 2". You think he'll promote 'Aleister Arcane' despite the violence that's probably gonna be in the movie.

It's also great that he's gonna star and executive produce the new movie. I hope Jim Carrey will do some more movies. I prefer to see him do more dramas than comedies.
He's great in comedies, but I prefer to see him do dramas than comedies.

Have a blessed afternoon and evening,

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas)
tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby AdaL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:38 pm

Nick wrote:Aleister Arcane may be an interesting project if it's done right, but i don't think this will be a horror movie. I imagine something like Goosebumps with Jack Black, maybe a little darker. That's my guess, we'll see :)

Yeah, it's very unlikely to be like Eli Roth's usual stuff (thank God). The comic book nature of it suggests it may be a bit Fright Nightish? Or more like a Sam Raimi movie? The kind of camp gore as opposed to the real violence and darker stuff that he doesn't like.
AdaL
The Majestic

Postby grinchy steve » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:14 am

I'm not sure about Eli Roth, will he be able to translate the unique spirit of the comics to the screen? We'll have to wait and see. But on the other hand, the role of Aleister Arcane is nothing less than perfect for Jim Carrey. 8) I'm pretty sure he will surprise us all with this performance ...

I do believe they will make it more, um ... "friendly" to reach a wider audiance. And I think it will be closer to Fright Night (indeed) than Goosebumps, which also comes to mind. But the comics aim for an older audiance.

And yes, when I read the reactions on different movie related forums, the big question is (again) ... "Why did he refuse to support Kick Ass 2 if he's OK with this?" As I think people should move on, I do understand it makes his part in that story even more strange. Maybe he just thought it was a bad movie and wanted to get away from it?

Anyway : Exciting news ! I like the choices our beloved actor is making ... True Crimes, Bad Batch and now this. Goody.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:32 am

I hope it is more of a
Movie that will draw out
Jims natural ability
to humour shock with his unusual twists and
surprises.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby JimCrazy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:54 am

Horror is the only genre Jim haven't done. Now it's fullfiled. Though that comics plot seems a bit older(Haven't read the comics). Hope they tweak the script and make it more engaging
AAlright! TAKE CARE NOW, BYE BYE THEN!
JimCrazy
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Postby fluffy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:45 am

is it a cartoon or some sort of CGI film, or will it be like the Mask or Batman?.....

It's a good job he's not playing a character called Aleister Crowley :shock:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby grinchy steve » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:57 pm

This will be live-action. The looks of Jim could be close to Count Olaf, I guess. When I think of the comics, I hope they don't make it too much of a comedy and keep the original spirit. It is funny, but in a naughty (and sometimes) disgusting and non-slapstick-way, as some would say. It feels like those typical guilty pleasure horrors, a bit old fashioned too. Jim doesn't need to be funny, when he becomes the character from the source material, that would be enough to make it work. Much like Kick-Ass 2, his Colonel Stars and Stripes was spot-on, without him being funny al the time. I think Tim Burton would have been a good choice for this, but ... he's too soft. So maybe Eli Roth has what it takes to translate the nasty goods on screen. Still, the two 'kids', who will be the other leading roles, could be the reason to hold back on that and make it more friendly for a wider audience. PG13?

We'll see. I'm glad with this project. 8)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:41 am

Wider audience is better
yards A. Crowley is way tooooo
creapy
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:59 am

To me
#23 was as close to a horror
as I'd see Jim in
It has been said he hasn't done a horror yet
but
he also hasn't done any movie
that is really on the opposite side of the fence
Spiritually Uplifting
that's my opinion
I'm just sayin
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:56 pm

I can't help but think he's at his best when he's playing as close to himself as possible.....so it will be interesting to see if he lets his own darkness reveal itself or if it will all be a fabrication.....
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Next

Return to Upcoming Movies