Jim Carrey Online

New Jim interview

Discuss this animation. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

New Jim interview

Postby cotton » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:49 am

From www.guardian.co.uk The direct link does not work so I copied and pasted the full interview here

This much I know Jim Carrey, actor, 46, Los Angeles Interview by Tony

Horkins The Observer, Sunday October 19 2008 Article history

It's such arrogance that human beings think we're the point. I always thought we were just a speck - you see those pictures from the Mars Rover and you go: 'Speck!' There are ants on my property that think they own it, that they have the deeds.

I'm part of the Canadian mafia. We're a dangerous bunch - ex-hockey players most of us, easily riled.

I'm proud of all of my work, but proud is not really the word. It's like having children: you can't take credit for them - you know, God makes great kids. If you're part of something that's really beautiful, like Eternal Sunshine, you don't feel a sense of ownership about it, you just go: 'I was really lucky to be there.'

When I had dinner with Anthony Hopkins he asked me about Ace Ventura, and I said: 'What I was trying to do was be a bird. I was not trying to be human.' And he said, 'Oh my God, that's what I did with Hannibal. I was a tarantula and a crocodile.'

Acting is very cathartic - for an audience, too. They get to go, 'Oh yeah, I feel that too. Now I don't have to go beat up a bunch of people because Bruce Willis did it for me.'

Comedic actors can be looked at as a lower form because we have to put ourselves in a lower place than most of the audience. I think lofty emotions are somehow considered more special. The best stories in the world to me are the ones that elicit a real emotion, but have humour.

Dr Seuss is a child's version of punk. It's alternative for kids, as cool as you get, just out there. I love the idea of introducing a whole new generation to 'out there'.

Suddenly earning $20m a picture didn't make me feel any different. I didn't know how much it meant to people until everybody started freaking out about it, and I went: 'Well, somebody had to get paid that much.' I had half a dozen actors come up to me and go, 'Thanks for going through the door, man' and I'm like: 'What are you talking about?'

You go through cycles in life. You start out this pre-egoic innocent who believes in everything, and then you start to see all the pulleys and connectors and go: 'Oh, this is all full of shit.' And then hopefully you get to a point where you become wise and let go of that resentment.

There are a lot of things that are wrong with the world, but if you watch the news, that's not the world; that's a condensed version of everything negative that's happening. If I look around the television set, things are pretty peaceful, and people treat each other pretty well.

Some people might think I'm about money, but I never have been about that. If I was negotiating myself I'd probably be earning somewhere above minimum wage, but I've got guys that go in there like killers.

I don't trust the political process. I vote, but the government has become nothing but a means for corporations to facilitate their contracts. I really like Obama - I'm so saddened that he's going to have to become full of shit in order to get on.

People expect me to be funny, but I don't mind disappointing them. There's nothing sadder to me than a person who's sitting there like a vulture in a conversation waiting for his opportunity to shine and be funny.

I could never think of my life and what I've been given as any kind of lack. I could not sit there and go: 'What's missing?'

• Horton Hears A Who! is released on DVD tomorrow in the UK
www.youtube.com/user/jimcarreyonline
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby Rosita » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 am

It's a really good interview, thanks a lot for copy it and show to us :)
Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color, choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable!
Rosita
A Christmas Carol

Return to (2008) Horton Hears a Who