fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby chip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:51 pm

OK! Now the author of the book and his point of view of the movie!! ;D
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/01/mcvicker_sundance_1.php

Steve McVicker:

"Well, Sunday's screening of "our" film, I Love You Phillip Morris, came and went last night, with still no official word of having been snapped up by any major distribution company for mucho dollars. However, if the overwhelming positive reaction of the sold-out crowd at the 1,270-seat capacity Eccles Center last night was any indication, an offering will soon be on the table."

"More importantly, I completely lost myself in the movie - Jim Carrey really became Steven Russell, and Ewan McGregor was really Phillip Morris. I even forget that much of the writing came straight from my book. "

:D Greeeeat!! Darker, Smarter, I think we will enjoy this film... :D
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! :D
chip
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Postby fluffy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:30 pm

it's a great book,...........well worth reading... :D

fluffy :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby chip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm

I AM HAPPY!!! http://defamer.com/5134515/loving-phillip-morris

This review is from Defamer.com, a web that everytime I could read it, it was for words of hate for Jim Carrey; Today is a diferent day. They loved "I love you Phillip Morris" Follow the link! :D

"Let's get this out of the way: Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor make just about the cutest, most gaga-in-love couple we'll likely see in any movie at Sundance."

"Ficarra and Requa managed to rein in Carrey's malleable and frequently unhinged skill set, which nicely suits the character's penchant for heart-on-the-sleeve flamboyancy."

"The film has yet to find a distributor, leading Ficarra to ask of the appreciative crowd, "Who's buying?" at the post-screening Q & A. A little bit later, Requa revealed some of the mysteries of the feature film casting process, deadpanning, "We sent Jim the script. He said yes. Then we sent Ewan the script. And he said yes."

We're extremely glad they did."

And that´s it! :D Great!! More! More! More! Go Go GO!!!
chip

Postby chip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:46 pm

A fifty-fifty review from CinemaBlend: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sundance-Review-I-Love-You-Phillip-Morris-11619.html

"Carrey works surprisingly well as Steven, though perhaps it’s only because Steven’s entire life is one big performance. Jim’s playing a guy playing a guy, and when he can’t help but fall into one of those wacky, unrealistic facial expressions it works as a reminder that everything we see of Steven is merely some sort of artificially created character."

"Like Steven, "Phillip Morris" seems to have a tough time figuring out who or what it is, and for my part I don’t know who or what its audience is either. Don’t get me wrong, it’s entertaining, and the idea that such an outlandish story might actually be based in reality makes it incredibly fascinating. But "Phillip Morris" doesn’t seem to know where it’s going or why it’s going there, and the result is an unusual movie that’s not particularly satisfying."

I think I´m one of the audience for the movie, I love non tradicional movies with interesting characters study. Anyone more? I think I will love this movie. :)
chip

Postby 123Dan123 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Wow, when I first heard of this, I thought this movie was gonna score big with the critics. But after watching the trailer I was unsure.

Now I'm looking forward to this, hopefully they can find a distributor. It also sounds like an Oscar worthy movie.

*Fingers crossed*
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby cotton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 pm

"He's great and he takes enormous chances and he's kind of too much, which I guess is how I feel about "I Love You Phillip Morris." :(

"I was on the fence; I admired Ficarra and Requa's blend of glossy Hollywood surface and dirty-minded, chaotic, criminal love story, but I also felt beat up by the end of the film" :?

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/feature/2009/01/19/sundance_3/
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:56 pm

chips and dip wrote:I bet it won't do very good in America. :(

The movie has a concept, I am sure it will do great. :D I mean it is a love story after all. :oops: Love stories are great which ever kind they may be. :oops:
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby chip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 pm

A so-so review with a great review on Carrey from Hollywood Reporter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/film-review-i-love-you-phillip-morris-1003931806.story

"Carrey is at his nimble best as Steve"

"It's in these naughty parts where this inventive escapade shines: Carrey's chameleonlike gyrations and falsifications are deliciously funny. His comedic versatility and impersonations are amazing, but it's in his character's darkest recesses that he's truly powerful."

"Like Carrey's character, the story and style are also all over the place, rendering it somewhat inaccessible. Admittedly, the whole film is in a bit of an aesthetic dither, which will confound many viewers. Still, filmmakers Glenn Ficarra and John Requa have concocted a frothy and misty amusement."

I like thaaaat.
chip

Postby indy-jones » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 am

I bet it's good news that most of the Sundance reviews are positive!
Anyway, I hope some much more serious critics like it too when it comes out!!!
"Snakes! Why it had to be snakes?"
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby fluffy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 am

i still think it's gonna be a Junoesque slow burner and will probably do best in Europe.... :D but that's not a bad thing, Juno did extremely well and it will remind folk how versatile and creative Jim can be.

fluffy :lol: :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby jimliker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Good reviews for gay Jim Carrey movie

Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor play gay in new romantic comedy I Love You Phillip Morris, which premiered this week at the Sundance Film Festival to favourable reviews.

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/3 ... e_6992.php

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby chip » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:26 pm

A VERY GOOD REVIEW!!
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/sundance-mini-review-i-love-you-phillip-morris-6023

"For the most part Sundance has some real good romance films and the one I saw and enjoyed was I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS"

"Jim Carrey gives an awesome performance, way better than his dark performance in The Cable Guy and his best film since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, shit better yet I’d say its his best film yet but I know a lot of you will disagree but once you see it I'm betting you'll agree."

"this is definitely a movie you don’t want to miss."

GREAT!!!
chip

Postby cotton » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 am

cotton
JCO Staff

Postby chips and dip » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:23 am

Wait! It's not coming out in America?!
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

PreviousNext

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris