Jim Carrey Online

Exclusive: Interviews with Popper's penguins

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Exclusive: Interviews with Popper's penguins

Postby TNPihl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Mr. Popper's (Jim Carrey) penguins were interviewed on the film's New York City set. Here are excerpts from those sessions:

MEET CAPTAIN
Despite being named after the famous explorer Captain Cook, CAPTAIN is actually a girl. She's a natural leader, and quickly takes charge of her five flippered friends when they arrive in Mr. Popper's apartment. But there's also a softer side to CAPTAIN, who loves to wiggle next to Mr. Popper when he's sleeping, hang out with him during his day, and she even offers Mr. Popper some valuable fashion tips. CAPTAIN also has serious skills - she's toilet-trained, a gifted dancer (hip-hop is her newest favorite), and an expert tracker. And now, maybe she's ready to go where no penguin has gone before - airborne!

Question: Not to sound sexist, but with your name, many would assume you're a guy. How'd you get to be known as captain?
CAPTAIN: Only humans have a tough time with the gender thing. Trust me, my fellow penguins know right away: I'm all female. But to answer your question, I was named after the famous explorer Captain Cook because I'm considered a natural leader.

Question: So, you can get tough with your crew, but we hear you also have a softer side.
CAPTAIN: What can I say...I like to wiggle next to Mr. Popper when he's sleeping, hang out with him during the day - and I've even been known to give him some fashion tips.

Question: What sets you apart from Mr. Popper's other Penguins?
CAPTAIN: I'm toilet trained, a superb dancer (hip-hop is my newest favorite), and an expert tracker.

Question: What are your plans for the future?
CAPTAIN: To go where no penguin has gone before - airborne!

MEET LOVEY
Like so many of his gender, LOVEY has quite the eye for the ladies. The first human to experience LOVEY's endless charms is Mr. Popper's ex-wife Amanda, who finds the romantic penguin hugging her leg and cooing deeply. LOVEY is most proud of the fact that's he's about to become a dad - times three!

Question: Word on the ice is that you have an eye for the ladies.
LOVEY: They don't call me 'Lovey' for nothing!

Question: Yep, you woo with the best. What's your secret?
LOVEY: The secret of wooing is in the cooing. Even Mrs. Popper - Mr. Popper's ex - couldn't resist my coos. Leg-hugging is another specialty of mine - with people. With penguins, I usually have them at 'hello.'

Question: What's your proudest accomplishment?
LOVEY: I'm about to become a dad - times three!

MEET LOUDY
As you might guess from her name, LOUDY makes a lot of noise. While her penguin friends honk or chirp from time to time, LOUDY likes to shout a thunderous "SQUAHNK!" when she wants to make a point. LOUDY is very athletic, and her favorite sports are football (a game she learned to play in New York City), and slipping-and-sliding on her belly (a skill she was pretty much born with).

Question: Tell us about yourself?
LOUDY (shouting): I WAS BORN IN ANTARCTICA...

Question: (interrupting): No need to shout...Ok, while your penguin cohorts like to communicate with a 'honk' or a 'chirp', you seem to prefer a thunderous 'SQUAHNK when you want to make a point...
LOUDY: I like to make myself heard. This is not an easy group.

Question: Besides shouting and squahnking, what are your favorite pastimes?
LOUDY: I love sports, and I'm at the top of my game at soccer (which I learned to play in my new home of New York City) and slip-sliding on my belly, a skill I was pretty much born with.

MEET BITEY
Her chief tools are her teeth, which she often enjoys using on some poor unsuspecting person's leg - especially Mr. Popper's! But bad guys beware: if you cross BITEY or her newest pal Mr. Popper, her teeth will make their way to your ankle or foot. While her friend LOUDY excels at football, effortlessly bouncing the ball off her belly, BITEY instead tries to peck open the ball, which is against the rules in most official leagues. Her favorite movie star is Charlie Chaplin, and her meal of choice is a plate of juicy sardines.

Question: What's with the teeth?
BITEY: These teeth were made for biting! Just ask Mr. Popper...or his leg.

Question: So your favorite target is Mr. Popper?
BITEY: Naw, he's become a pal. In fact, you don't want to cross me or Mr. Popper - or my teeth will make their way to your ankle!

Question: We'll keep that in mind. Besides biting people's ankles, what keeps you in shape?
BITEY: I love soccer, but I have some challenges with bouncing the ball off my belly; instead I like to peck open the ball. Unfortunately, that's against the rules in most leagues.

MEET NIMROD
If you like your penguins lovable, free-spirited, and most of all, clumsy, then NIMROD is your guy. He's never met a wall he's failed to bump into. (Some say an even better name for him would have been "Crash.") When he's not colliding into walls, NIMROD enjoys pecking the television remote to his favorite channels (always the ones airing a Charlie Chaplin movie), making a fort of Mr. Popper's sofa, and thrashing around in the toilet.

Question: Speaking of unfortunate names...
NIMROD: Yeah, sure, so I'm clumsy. In fact, I've never met a wall I've failed to bump into. But I suppose that 'Nimrod' is better name than 'Crash,' which my parents also considered naming me.

Question: But there's more to you than just close encounters with immovable objects, right?
NIMROD: My friends say I'm lovable and free-spirited. I also excel at making a fort out of Mr. Popper's sofa, and thrashing around in his toilet. Good times!

Question: We hear you're a big movie buff.
NIMROD: Charlie Chaplin is The King of Comedy. There's nothing he can't do. We penguins love Chaplin so much we even modeled our walking style after his. Or was it the other way around?

MEET STINKY
STINKY is troubled by tummy turbulence. That means he has a lot of gas. When you hear STINKY "honk," the sound may not be coming from his vocal cords. But his spirit, sense of adventure and loyalty to his fellow penguins and to Mr. Popper are as sweet as can be. STINKY loves his new home in Mr. Popper's fancy New York apartment, where he's helped make a nest out of the enormous freezer. You can always count on STINKY...just don't get too close to him after he's had a big meal!

Question: What's that smell?
STINKY: Sorry, I had a bad plate of sardines.

Question: Weird, it was like you were doing a familiar penguin 'honking' noise, but the sound seemed to be coming from...
STINKY: Never mind!

Question: It must be tough having that name.
STINKY: Sure, but I'm proud of the fact that my spirit, sense of adventure and loyalty to Mr. Popper and my fellow penguins, are as sweet as can be!

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/recent/news.php?id=1618
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Re: Exclusive: Interviews with Popper's penguins

Postby EvaAraujo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 pm

So cute!

I'm totally in love with penguins and it's all Jim's fault! :D
I'm a guardian of the spark...
I'm a God damn and proud good fan... and I love it! = )>
EvaAraujo
JCO Staff