Jim Carrey Online

Reviews

Discuss this series. Series Premiere September 9, 2018
Filming: April 11, 2018 - August 1, 2018

Reviews

Postby TNPihl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Kidding Recap: S1E1 (Green Means Go)
By Lucas Allen (Web correspondent)

The first episode of Jim Carrey’s new show "Kidding" introduces viewers to the two worlds of children’s television icon Mr. Pickles. There’s the world of the TV show that he hosts with those wacky puppets, and then there’s Jeff Pickles’ world that gloomy and all too real that’s too much to handle for him. The show explores the difference between reality and fantasy from the perspective of a man with an optimistic view on everything. It also offers a great actor in a role destined to become one of his greatest.

The episode opens with Mr. Pickles appearing on the Conan O’Brien Show promoting his best-selling book. He even brings out one of his puppets called Uke-Larry for a sing-along with the host, guest star Danny Trejo, and the audience. Afterwards, Jeff returns to his apartment to contemplate his current existence being separated by his wife Jill (Judy Greer) and son Will (Cole Allen), while he’s still mourning the death of his older son Phillip.

Jeff then gets the idea to talk about death on his show. However, his father and executive producer Sebastian (Frank Langella) rejects the idea fearing it could traumatize the children and ruin the show. Seb then tells his son that he has to deal with reality as himself, while maintaining his Mr. Pickles persona on the show. Eventually, Jeff convinces his father enough to film a segment about moving out and death in front of a live kiddie audience.

There’s a subplot involving Jeff’s sister Deirdre (Catherine Keener), who designs and performs the puppets on the show. She tries to get her daughter Maddy (Juliet Morris) to eat her broccoli and punishes her by taking away her bathtime. But her daughter’s reason leads to a shocking revelation involving her husband. Then there’s Will celebrating the anniversary of his twin brother’s death by laying a beehive on his brother’s grave. He even starts hanging out with the older kids who gave him a bong to smoke much to his father’s shock.

The episode ends when Seb tells his son that the network won’t air the death segment before explaining that he’s merely a product of children’s entertainment and has to act like that. Frustrated, Jeff goes to the bathroom and shaves the top part of his hair off. He also buys a house that’s right next to his wife’s in hopes to get back together with her. But when he sees Jill with her new boyfriend Peter (Justin Kirk), he rips off the kitchen sink in anger leading to what’s to come on the show.

When you watch this episode, you get a good idea of what the show is all about. Characters dealing with tough situations, Jeff’s mental state taking a downward spiral, and the effects it could have on a beloved TV show. Add on to the quirky bits of Jeff’s show and his song and you have an interesting marriage of sunshines and rainbows with thunder and rain clouds.

But the most important thing and the real reason everybody should watch the show is Jim himself. Here, the actor utilizes his past experiences mixing comedy and drama to create a character full of happiness and optimism in an unstable world. When you watch him shift through different emotions like pent-up anger followed by a calming smile, you believe his every word and thought. It’s a true testament to how an actor can pull off such a performance flawlessly without breaking a sweat, and this performance is easily the turning point in a great career of performances we’ve been waiting for.

It’s only the first episode, but we’ll see how it goes from there once Jeff walks back to the set of his show a different man. If you’re able to enjoy the show from that first episode, then this is one new series worth sticking around.
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Re: Reviews

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:48 am

Now I Really really want to see this
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Canadian Jayne » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:20 am

Thats rely good news
I wonder how many people tape it on a Sunday
And watch it later during the week
I wonder
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Canadian Jayne » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Thats good news about Kidding DVD
Coming out in January
Mayb it will come out
On his birthday
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Kidding Nominated for Golden Reel Award

Postby tlmarvin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Wednesday, February 20, 2019--10:51 am CST

I have never heard of Golden Reel Awards. Whatever it is, I hope the show will win.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas, USA)
tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby tlmarvin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Tuesday, February 11, 2020--8:52 am CST

I can't watch the second season of "Kidding" because I don't have Showtime. I'll have to wait until the second season of "Kidding" gets on DVD either late Spring or summer. I have the first season on DVD. I'll have to wait until the second season comes on DVD in oder to watch it.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas)
tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby tlmarvin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Tuesday, February 11, 2020--8:57 am CST

Hello Tommy,

Have you reviewed the first episode of "Kidding" for the second season.
I'll have to wait until the second season of "Kidding" comes on DVD, probably late Spring or Summer before I can watch it, because I still don't have Showtime.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas, USA)
tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby tlmarvin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Thursday, February 20, 2020--12:48 pm CST

I have to wait until season 2 of "Kidding" is on DVD, because I don't have Showtime.

tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 am

I dont have showtime either
And phone problems etc is
Too frustrating to do so
I guess Ill wait to buy both
DVds. Maybe theyll be
Sold as a package
I wonder!;)
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Signed Jim Carrey Books.

Postby tlmarvin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Friday, February 21, 2020--11:52 am CST

I already pre-ordered my book this past Sunday, February 16, 2020 at a Barnes and Noble store here in Dallas, Texas. I'll get my book when it comes out on Tuesday, May 5 2020.
I'll probably get the next day.

tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby tlmarvin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Tuesday, April 21, 2020--5:08 pm CST

Does anyone know when the second season of "Kidding" will be on DVD? When will "Sonic:The Hedgehog" be on Blu-ray or DVD>
I pre-ordered Jim's book back in February, they said I would get it on May 5, now you're saying it'll be October 6 before I receive it. I ordered my book at a Barnes and Noble bookstore here in Dallas, Texas, USA

tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Jim Carrey : Memoirs and Misinformation

Postby tlmarvin » Wed May 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Wednesday, May 6, 2020--7:22 am CST

Now yall are saying that Jim's book will released on Tuesday, July 7, 2020. I don't know who to believe now.

tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sat May 16, 2020 4:43 pm

If its posted up in top corner
You have a pretty good chance
Its true wrong
But
I could be
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Oopsey
I meant to say
Good chance it is true
Id say 75%
But then again
It may be wrong25%
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby tlmarvin » Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm

Tuesday, May 26, 2020--4:06 pm CST

I just ordered my copy of the second season of "Kidding" from Amazon Prime. I'll get it on June 7, 2020. I ordered it today.

tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Return to (2018/19) Kidding (Season 1 and 2)