Jim Carrey Online

I Love You Phillip Morris (Review when you see it)

Discuss this movie. Filmed April 29-June 30, 2008
Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

I Love You Phillip Morris (Review when you see it)

Postby TNPihl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Its time to open the review thread.

Post your review and comments in this thread.
Last edited by TNPihl on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby indy-jones » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

I don't know if it'll be playing near where I live, but when I do see it (either in theaters or on Blu-Ray), I'll give a nice review!
"Snakes! Why it had to be snakes?"
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby grinchy steve » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm gonna see it tonight! \:D/
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 pm

I would like to write something they call a ‘review’, like I did for years in my own language, but it’s simply too difficult to do it in a language that isn’t mine. So I just call it ‘my –not so well written- quick thoughts’ on ‘I Love You, Phillip Morris’, cause I don’t know the right translation for many of the words.

A pure joy. An unusual one, but still a joy.

First things first : People who hope to see the typical Jim Carrey we know from rubberfaced movies like 'Ace Ventura' and 'Bruce Almighty', it's not going to happen. In fact, this is a chance to meet a new side of the actor. In 'I Love You, Phillip Morris' Carrey has found a way to combine a serious performance with his comedic skills, without pulling unique faces or moving his body in weird ways. And it's working, mostly because of the fact that Carrey is able to stay in character and doesn’t have to make things funny, the situations already áre funny. So having his talent on top of it, makes it even better.

In the hands of Glenn Ficarra en John Requa "Phillip Morris" became a unusual dark comedy with a serious tone that, in a way, is actually light-hearted at the same time. At first it's hard to find out on what story this movie is focussing, cause the storytelling is all over the place. There’s a lot going on without a helping arrow that points out what the main story is. In this case, that’s a good thing. There's a certain drive in the way they tell the romance-adventures of this gay conman. Mostly thanks to a surprising script and a montage that feels very fresh, this dramedy just keeps you wondering where the hell it’s taking you. And it carries the stamp of two talented people with a unique vision.

Some (Belgian) critics complained about the fact the story doesn’t focus at all on the parts of Rodrigo Santoro and more important Leslie Mann. “What’s the emotional impact of Steven Russel being gay on his wife and kid?”, they wondered. It doesn’t really matter in this story, that’s the simple truth. ‘I Love You, Phillip Morris’ doesn’t have the intention to go on a dramatic level like that. In fact, I liked how Ficarra and Requa handled that part. They skip it and make up for it later in the movie. For example : In a quick scene we see Carrey calling his wife. Her reaction tells us that over the years she accepted the situation and things between them seem to be fine. That’s all we need to know. How the got there doesn’t matter, what counts is the fact they got there.

The same for the character Phillip Morris, we never get to know him for real. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In a heartbreaking performance Ewan McGregor almost steals the show as a naïve, good and honest man that loves Steven Russel with all his heart. That’s the greatest power of this comedy, something I never expected, Carrey and McGregor are perfectly believable as a couple. The two characters couldn’t be more different, but when you have them together on screen, they shine. This could be the best team-up with Carrey since Kate Winslet. True sparkles!

I’m sure you never had “a laugh and a tear” in a way like this.

3,75 out of 5 (That's a "Good Plus" in my book)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby chips and dip » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 am

Wow, thanks Steve. If it's a 3.75, how do some of your Jim Carrey favorites do on that scale?
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Ummm ... that's a question I can't answer because you can't compare 'The Cable Guy' or 'Ace Ventura' with 'Man on the Moon' or 'The Majestic', you know. I'll try to show (in English, damn) my personal rating-system, maybe that gives the right impression.

5.0 Stars : A Masterpiece, movies like this are very rare.
4.5 Stars : Must-see, movies like this only come around once or twice a year.
4.0 Stars : Must-see, one that has a very good chance to get a spot in the TOP-10 at the end of the year.
3.5 Stars : Good Plus, I recommend this movie.
3.0 Stars : Good, nothing more, nothing less. I might recommend it, but not nessesarily.
2.5 Stars : More mediocre than actually good. I'm not recommending it at all.
2.0 Stars : More bad than mediocre. If you miss this movie, it's a good thing.
1.5 Stars : Bad. It's very hard to find a positive side on this one. Stay away from it.
1.0 Stars : Crap. Why? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
0.5 Stars : If I had been staring in the toilet the whole runtime, it would have been the same waste of time.
0.0 Stars : A movie thát bad? Impossible. (there's not one movie out there that got this rating)

Let's say that "Phillip Morris" is in the 3,5 category. ;)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby chips and dip » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 am

Thanks Steve. That helps me out some. I'm definitely going to see this in the U.S. if I can find a theater that's showing it. :wink: :roll: :)
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:01 pm

I've seen the film twice now and in my humble opinion it's one of Jims best films to date.
It remains true to the book, doesn't cheapen or sensationalise the story and breaks the 'gay film' mold. Unlike 'traditional' gay themed movies, it's not full of confused angst, rather, the primary theme is simply love, getting it, valuing it and holding onto it.
It's paced well, seriously funny, authentic to the story and very very poignant. Yes Stephen committed the crimes but he's also very likeable.
Ewan Macgregors' Philip Morris gives the perfect motive for Stephens crimes, Stephen wants to look after him forever and together they make a believable odd couple.
By the end you're really rooting for Stephen, hoping he'll escape to future happiness with Philip such is the power of their portrayals.

Whether it's because he's addicted to the thrill of the crimes and his escapes, or his need to be with his loved ones Stephen exposed the vulnerabilities in the prison/legal system and was sentenced to life imprisonment in solitary.

Did he deserve this, you decide........
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

GOLD!

Postby chip » Sat May 08, 2010 2:12 pm

I have just seen it: IT´S GREAT!!!! Great film, great role, great acting!!! One of Jim´s best performances!!! I hope it find US cinemas in the fall, so it can be in the frontline for the Oscars;

Now I´ve watched it I don´t find why it doesn´t get released, there´s no one explicit scene, it´s all humor and love!!! Maybe we are not with Steven Russell on his methods, but we stay with him when we talk about the incredible love why he does everything he does on the film (and in real life!).

Distribute this film, and give Carrey his first (and totally deserving) Oscar.
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! :D
chip
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Postby grinchy steve » Sun May 09, 2010 1:38 am

As much as I liked 'I Love You, Phillip Morris', there's nothing Oscar-worthy about it ... :-k *thinking* ... nope, nothing at al.

Glad you liked it also, btw. :)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby chip » Sun May 09, 2010 10:23 pm

Jim Carrey HIMSELF!! In this film He is Oscar deserving!!!!
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! :D
chip

Postby grinchy steve » Mon May 10, 2010 12:40 am

I can't figure it out : Are you being overenthousiastic or serious? I mean, c'mon ... you are kidding right? This is nothing for the Oscars. The highest thing he can get out of this is a Golden Globe nomination (Best Actor : Comedy or Musical) and I have big doubts there's a chance.

But okay, if you realy like to think it's Oscar-material, you can. :)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Re: I Love You Phillip Morris (Review when you see it)

Postby JonathanWaxman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 pm

I have seen it finally...

It's a really good and daring movie...Jim Carrey has done it again as far as acting and developing a character. He is the type of actor that wants to get 110% out of him when working on a role. You can see that. You can see all his real reactions and track of thoughts while interacting with fellow actors. And he mastered the technique of details [eg: the moment when Steve and Phillip first meet, before Steven says 'You don't look like you belong here, Phillip"...well...Jim is actually analyzing him - look at his eyes]. That's acting. So, no question about that.

The love connection and the relationship between the two were so well crafted that I had a tiny bit of problem empathizing with them :)) That was...the hard part, let's say.

But as for Jim and his career I am actually really glad he tried this one. I mean, c'mon. He's one of the few actors that really break the boundaries and accept daring roles. Not anybody can do that. It's funny anyway to see him in a non-heterosexual attitude :)

Good movie, anyway...good movie...but I'm still hoping for that Academy Award winning extraterrestrial role for Jim...as we all are, actually.

toodles!
Rock this joint, yes !
JonathanWaxman
The Duck Factory

Postby mysticwryter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am

I don't think that I'll acutally get to see the movie since our film industry can't decide on a distributor but I'll give my hopefull review.

Just by viewing photos from a few sites including this one (other one was bestofewan.com), I see that there is a true romance between Morris and Russel. The pictures show a complete stillness when they are together in the prison bed, just laying there or just being able to share a moment of clarity like the sunset kiss scene. That type of stillness is believe to be only expressed when you fall in love. The trailer does show potential of some funny scenes with not only McGregor but with Mann and with Santoro. I believe that Carrey not only keeps with what he does best, making people laugh, but brings out the dramatic side like we saw in ESOTSP and The Truman Show. Like with the snapshots I will either be laughing one minute then a sorrowful cry the next.I have a lot of high hopes for this movie. Even though some may seem that this is way out in left field, but I believe this is something that a lot of people are going to respect out of Carrey and McGregor. Yeah, McGregor has been a few gay-related movies like Velvet Goldmine and The Pillow Book to name a few, but I believe he will shine in this movie for it's more of a mature matter rather than a gay-romp. Along with Jim, this is something competly out of the box for him and through the reviews on here and with how the trailers are introducing the film, this will not be considered a flop for Carrey or McGregor. I believe that this exposure, to be put, has been said it may "make or break Carrey". Honestly, I don't think that Jim cares if it doesn't satisfy some of the critics, at least he did it in his life. I admire that in him for he will do what he wants to do and with what he does, he considers it a accomplisment that he doesn't look down upon.

**KUDOS GUYS**

Now..the wait comes for a few months, which I hope I can see and experience for myself.
Schmoyoho-oh-oh-oh accent on the YO!
mysticwryter
Bruce Almighty

Postby WesleyIsMe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:50 am

I saw I Love You Phillip Morris tonight and enjoyed this great film which included laughter and pain - for those that are saying this is Jim Carrey's best performance yet, I don't agree. I would still put his role as Truman in The Truman Show as his best performance to date. However, I would not be surprised if Carrey was nominated for an Academy Award for this film based on the success of films like Brokeback Mountain and also the fact that he portrays a real person which the academy always seems to favor these days. Also, it might be the time where the voters think "We owe him one" after previous snubs. I'm not saying that Carrey didn't do well, don't get me wrong, I just don't see it as his best.

Ewan McGreggor was marvelous as Phillip Morris and made it impossible not to love him. He wasn't an over the top stereotypical gay you see played over and over, but he got it just right.

Together, the two definitely had good chemistry between them. I can't wait to see the extras on DVD and I imagine there will be a gag reel as well. (no pun intended)

I'm hoping the movie brings up discussions about the real Steven Russell and that people continue to learn more about the man which this movie is about.

I give it four out of five stars.
WesleyIsMe

Next

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris