Discuss this upcoming movie. In theaters on February 14, 2020
Filming: July 12, 2018 - September 26, 2018

Jim Carrey in Final Talks to Star in 'Sonic the Hedgehog'

Postby Veysel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Veysel
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Re: Jim Carrey in Final Talks to Star in 'Sonic the Hedgehog

Postby JimCrazy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:30 am

:shock: :roll: I've no idea what this would become.
AAlright! TAKE CARE NOW, BYE BYE THEN!
JimCrazy
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Postby Nick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 am

Not exactly the new project i was hoping Jim to consider but hey... is Jim Carrey. :D

I've seen a couple of episodes of the show when i was a kid, and i must say... this is a right fit for Jim. Dr. Eggman is a character in the vein of The Mask, The Grich, Ace Ventura or Fire Marshall Bill, that type of character that made him famous in the first place. Based on the reactions i've seen when they announced a Sonic live action film, i think there's a strong chance to flop in the U.S., but worldwide i think it would do... fine.

The shooting starts this July, so i think the producers are waiting a response from him or his agents in the next couple of days.
Nick
Batman Forever

Postby grinchy steve » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm a Sega Mega Drive kid, Sonic was my Mario, I loved the creature and had a lot of fun (and frustration) playing those games. I've been following this project right from the start and the names involved sound good. James Marsden, for example.

But a live action version!? I just can't see this work ... Saying that as someone who always hoped for a Sonic movie by a great animation studio. I'm very active on different movie-related fora and all I can say is that there's a very negative buzz around this. Like was the case with the Emoji Movie. This will never get a fair chance.

This will do 'mediocre' at the US box office. I agree with Nick though, it will do a lot better in the foreign market for sure, my thoughts exactly.

As for Carrey: Not what I hoped for his career next, not at all. But I am excited to see him doing this. It's pretty close to perfect casting. He will nail the character, no doubt. Funny thing is the fact that he was showing up very often when asked amongst fans who should play the part. Well, it happened. :)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby tlmarvin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Saturday, June 30, 2018--8:26 am CST

I think Jim is already cast for the role. I wonder if Paramount heard from him.
If they did, it'll start shooting sometime next month.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas)
tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby JimCrazy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:39 pm

grinchy steve wrote:I'm a Sega Mega Drive kid, Sonic was my Mario, I loved the creature and had a lot of fun (and frustration) playing those games. I've been following this project right from the start and the names involved sound good. James Marsden, for example.

But a live action version!? I just can't see this work ... Saying that as someone who always hoped for a Sonic movie by a great animation studio. I'm very active on different movie-related fora and all I can say is that there's a very negative buzz around this. Like was the case with the Emoji Movie. This will never get a fair chance.

This will do 'mediocre' at the US box office. I agree with Nick though, it will do a lot better in the foreign market for sure, my thoughts exactly.

As for Carrey: Not what I hoped for his career next, not at all. But I am excited to see him doing this. It's pretty close to perfect casting. He will nail the character, no doubt. Funny thing is the fact that he was showing up very often when asked amongst fans who should play the part. Well, it happened. :)

Haven't played the game or seen any episodes. Can the plot be something out of the box and entertaining ? And is Jim's character an evil villain or a comedy villain ?
AAlright! TAKE CARE NOW, BYE BYE THEN!
JimCrazy
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Postby 123Dan123 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Wow, I hope they can pull this off, definitely will be challenging. On the other hand I'm pretty pumped to see Jim giving a chance play Dr Robotnik!
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby indy-jones » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:41 pm

This is quite surprising to me considering he's going to take part in a genre that more often than not is looked down upon by both film critics and gamers alike. I'm hoping his appearance will no doubt elevate the material although we don't know yet which version of Robotnik he'll perform as. I just hope it's something much more dignified than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjuhnuwFBQw
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby grinchy steve » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Ouch! Don't say Robotnik when it's Dr. Eggman out loud among Sonic fans! :p

I'm very surprised by this choice too. But maybe he's a fan of the golden age of Sega? :)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:42 am

I remember
Sega
Good 4 him
Glad to hear
I played the game
A looooooooooooong
Time ago
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:32 am

Maybe Jim is indeed a fan of the Sonic franchise or Sega, or maybe after The Bad Batch and Dark Crimes he wants to do again a fun, brighter film the whole family can enjoy.

Like i said in my first post, i'm ok with this, but that's not what i wanted to read regards his next project. In the past couple of weeks, i hoped he would join the cast of Quentin Tarantino's latest film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in a small, but juicy role, or to play a villain in the next chapter of John Wick. I hope in the future he will sign up for more edgier, challenging roles. That would be the right move in my opinion.
Nick
Batman Forever

Postby Canadian Jayne » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 pm

He has to take the path
That he feels is best for him
The new roll reminds me
Of a Trump kinda character@@
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby tlmarvin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Friday, July 13, 2018--5:01 pm CST

Hello JCO:

Do you know if Jim has accepted the role in "Sonic:The Hedgehog". Has he completed negations for the film? Do yall know what other plans Jim has in mind for the rest of 2018?

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas)
tlmarvin
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby indy-jones » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 am

I found this interesting bit of trivia on the film's IMDb page.

"On June 29th, 2018, Jim Carrey was confirmed to play the role of Robotnik/Dr. Eggman for the film. The news caused a lot of grief with Sonic fans on Twitter, and a large amount of people even tweeted Eggman's official voice in the games, Mike Pollock, to hear his opinion on it. Pollock says that he is completely fine with Carrey doing Eggman and it's just general business in voice acting, but would've taken the role immediately if he was offered."

To me, that's just social media manbabies scoffing at the existence of a Sonic the Hedgehog live-action movie.
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby grinchy steve » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 am

I grew up with the original game. And I understand that for many, Pollock is the one and only Eggman. He's a great voice-actor and is good at his job. But it's not an animated version for this movie. Pollock is not an actor in the way Jim Carrey is and he won't sell tickets either. So fans are being unreasonable.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Next

Return to (2020) Sonic the Hedgehog