Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

L.A. folks

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

Postby lammy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:33 am

No, I think I would be looked at wrong, or be mugged for not being up to date with the fashion or for not having a plastic image- :lol:

L.A. are for rich people...or so I think, am I wrong?
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Conor » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:00 pm

and gays.....the village people!!!!!!!!!
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby comicpisces11 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:28 pm

Hmmm, well I happen to be in L.A. and don't have one bit of plastic on me. You may think L.A. is for the rich, but when you find that less than 2% of the population in Los Angeles is considered "Rich", maybe that will put things into perspective for you. The first 5 years of my living here I struggled hard. I worked as a janitor at an auto mall 7 days a week, 9 hours a night, no breaks for $500 a month. I would hope to God every night that someone would leave their leftovers in the lunchroom to be thrown away so I could eat for the day. In order to pay rent or buy a bag of beans and a bag of rice to eat for the month, I had to take on another job (part time) so I would get home at 7:30 AM, take a shower, then go to an office job calling people to get them to buy electronic parts. That took my income up to a whole $600 a month. My rent was $375 per month. Bills, roughly $100. Fuel for my car to get to the job which was 45 minutes away...whatever I had left over. 2 hours of sleep a night. The rest of my time was volunteering for a teen after school program because at the time, I was living in South Central Los Angeles (only place I could afford to live) and God knows the kids there needed help staying off the streets. I'm not the only one. It's tough to make it here, and if you do, you're darn lucky. It's very rare for someone to just be handed money here. Yes there are the rich kids that have trust funds or what have you, and to be honest, those kids are the ones that usually don't make it in the business because they've never had to work for anything in their entire lives...nor do they need to. So, the moral of the story is, you shouldn't make blanket judgements like that. If you don't know, you shouldn't say anything. It's not fair. And I don't know JT, but I'm sure she's got her own story to tell as well.
Profound words are not clever. Clever words are not profound. -Verse 81 of the Tao Te Ching
comicpisces11
The Mask

Postby fluffy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:39 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Yeah B,........I admire your honesty and determination.......and anyone who overcomes adversity to achieve their goals............no matter how small they might be...........i understand completely......i have the T-shirt too.......... :wink:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:09 pm

I'm admiring Comicpisces and after her post I feel positively pampered.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:38 am

Cool, so L.A. is not about fake boobs and brats or spoiled kids- :lol:
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby mav » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:25 pm

I would say it's about that and much much more.

Any place has more to it than a minority impression. But unfortunately the place gets associated with it.

.....people like CP11 are needed to make it better.....hmm....a better world :D
-
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Conor » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:59 pm

come on guys you know la as the best thing in the world.....jimmy~
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby JT Carrey » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:13 pm

yea, living in LA sucks money wise, everything is way too expensive and we don't make enough to survive, there have been days when I lived on pasta or $1 sandwiches from the fast food places. I still can't get by with my minimal pay but things take time I guess. Don't plan to move to LA so quickly unless you have plenty of money to support yourself.
~*~J.T. Carrey~*~

"I was sitting back in my chair thinking 'this can't be about urine'" - Jim talking about the musical Urinetown :D
JT Carrey
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:21 pm

i guess it depends on the area of work you are involved in too.............i'm sure there are non industry jobs that are very well paid over there............it's 'horses for courses'...............LA will be like London in that there is an entertainment/fashion industry........but there's gotta be normal life too...........they still need teachers, nurses, Dr's, cleaners, shop assistants..............like everywhere else.............

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Previous

Return to Off Topic